The Makalu Expedition heads to the fifth highest peak in the world rising to 8463m (27,765 feet). This beautiful and impressive massif is situated just 14 miles east of Everest. The name of the mountain was probably taken from the Sanskrit word Maha-Kala, which means 'big black' and is a by-name of Shiva - one of the most important gods of Hinduism. Shiva is sometimes an evil, cruel destroyer, but at other times he is gentle and kind-hearted. The mountain has another name in the local dialect - Kumba karna which means 'the giant'.
Its size alone is impressive, but its perfect pyramid structure with four sharp ridges makes this mountain all the more spectacular. Makalu is actually a double peak. The subsidiary peak, rising just north of the main summit and connected by a saddle, is called Chomolonzo (25,650ft). Makalu has proved to be a challenging climb, as only five of its first sixteen attempts were successful. There have been no known winter ascents of this peak. Prior to its first ascent in 1955, it was admired and studied by several Everest expeditions, but like a lot of other giants in the Khumbu region, it was not attempted until after the summit of Everest had first been attained in 1953.
Mount Makalu Expedition Outline Itinerary
- Day 01: Arrival Kathmand & transfer to hotel
- Day 02: Prepare for Expedition, Hotel
- Day 03: Expedition Briefing in Ministry of tourism, Hotel
- Day 04: Fly to Tumlingtar & drive Num, Lodge
- Day 05: Trek to Seduwa, Lodge
- Day 06: Trek to Tashigaun, Lodge
- Day 07: Trek to Khongma La (Danda), Lodge
- Day 08: Trek to Mumfuk, Lodge
- Day 09: Trek to Yangle Kharak, Lodge
- Day 10: Trek to Merak, Lodge
- Day 11: Trek to Sersung (half day rest) for acclimatize, Lodge
- Day 12: Trek to Makalu Base camp, Camp
- Day 13-42: Climbing Period for Makalu (8,463m), Camp
- Day 43: Trek to Mumbuck, Lodge
- Day 44: Trek to Khongma La (Danda), Lodge
- Day 45: Trek to Seduwa, Lodge
- Day 46: Trek to Chichila, Lodge
- Day 47: Trek to Tumlingtar, Lodge
- Day 48: Fly back to Kathmandu & transfer to hotel
- Day 49: Free Day in Kathmandu, Hotel
- Day 50: Final Departure
All conditions stated in the above Itinerary are for the guests who prefer full package trip. At the same time, we also serve you based on your choice. Above holiday itinerary can be customized as our guest specific requirements and can make Shorter and Longer. We design your holidays accordingly.
The above itineraries are subject to change due to condition beyond our control. This is a Guideline showing tentative night stops. Physical, Technical and Natural condition may change this above itineraries.
Mount Makalu Expedition Cost Includes
- Transportation Arrival & Departure; on domestic and international flights.
- Standard hotel accommodation in Kathmandu on B/B plan
- All Domestic flights charges.
- All Transportation service from starting and ending points of Makalu Expedition.
- Climbing Sherpa guide for Makalu Expedition(2:1).
- Mount Makalu Expeditions Group climbing gears like rope, ice bar etc.
- Permits for the Mount Makalu Expedition.
- High altitude meal (Full board).
- All the expenses & insurance of Liaison officer (Govt. of Nepal).
- Expedition manager, cook, support crew and porters with their equipments, daily wages, food & insurance etc.
- Camping & Kitchen equipment like base camp tents, dining tent with table and chair, kitchen tent with all utensil and toilet tent.
- High altitude tents and necessary gadgets like EPI gas and burner for high climb.
- We provide warm clothing, trek gear for nepali staff including porters.
- Life & medical insurance for Nepali staff & Porters.
- Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) & Gamow Bag along with the comprehensive First Aid Kit.
- Communication device like Satellite Phone & Willkie-Talkie in case of emergency.(USE PAY)
- Emergency Oxygen with regulator and mask while on mount Makalu Himal Expeditions.(USE PAY)
- Agency service charge.
- Ample farewell dinner with Nepali song & dance.
Mount Makalu Expedition Cost Excludes
- International airfare and airport tax.
- Nepal entry visa fees
- Medical and personal high risk insurance.
- Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu
- Bar & Beverage Bills
- Personal equipment & climbing gears.
- Emergency Rescue evacuation
- Climbing Bonus for Makalu base camp staffs, tips and personal nature expenses.
- Permit fees and custom charge for Sat phone, communication gadget and commercial filming while on Makalu expedition.
- Garbage Deposit USD 3,000.00 (Sharing of the total person) and Deposit fee will be not refunded if the clients (climber) don't take back their garbage to Kathmandu.
Mount Makalu Expedition Spring/Autumn 2017/2018 Fixed Departures
Makalu Expedition Cost Facts
- The above Expedition Itinerary is a guideline and standard pattern. This Expedition can be modified according to your time and requirements.
- Cost & Departures Dates of Expedition will change according to your NEED, GROUP SIZE and TIME.
- The Expedition Itinerary may be changed after understanding by both agency and client. Additional activities could be added or reduce as per client's request before confirming the trip.
- Price for reduced Expedition/Hiking activities could be deducted and additional activities could be added as per mutual understanding.
- The Expedition Cost also affect the number of Mountain Guides, Porters and Services.
- For these reasons the same Expedition can be HIGHER and LOWER Price.
- We offer you the best price guaranteed for Makalu Expedition.
|Departure Dates||Departure Availablity||Trip Cost||Inquiry|
|April, 08, 2017 - May, 27, 2017||Available||18,490.00||Inquiry|
|August, 26, 2017 - October, 16, 2017||Available||18,490.00||Inquiry|
Cant Find Suitable Departure? Let us know... We will Take you There....
Your holiday Your style
Have a big group? We can help.
Need additional ativities? We can help.
Low on budget? We can help.
Mount Makalu Expedition Map
Similar 8,000M Expedition