The Dhaulagiri Expedition is a tough proposal for mountaineers at any time. Its name is derived from the Sanskrit ‘Dhaula’ meaning white and ‘giri’ meaning mountain. The mountain was sighted by British surveyors in India in the early 1800s and was mapped by one of the secret Indian surveyors, the pandits, in 1873. However, the region remained largely unknown until a Swiss aerial survey in 1949. The French Annapurna expedition in 1950 had permission to climb either Annapurna or Dhaulagiri, but decided on Annapurna after a reconnaissance of Dhaulagiri. A Swiss party failed in 1953, as did an Argentine group one year later.
Eight members of a Swiss expedition finally reached the summit in 1960, after four other attempts. The climbing route went around the mountain from Tukuche, over Dhampus pass and French Col, approaching the summit from the Northeast Col. The expedition was supplied by a Swiss Pilatus Porter aircraft, called the ‘Yeti’ which landed on the Northeast Col (5977m). Near the end of the expedition the plane crashed near Dhampus pass and the pilots, including the famous Emil Wick, walked down the mountain to Tukuche. In 1969 an avalanche killed seven members of a US expedition on the East Dhaulagiri Glacier. In 1973 the Americans were successful. Again Captain Emil Wick airdropped supplies to the expedition, including two bottles of wine and a live chicken. However, the Sherpas would not allow the chicken to be killed on the mountain. It became the expedition pet and was carried, snow-blind and crippled with frostbitten feet, to Marpha. It finally ended up in the cooking pot.
Mount Dhaulagiri Expedition Outline Itinerary
- Day 01: Arrival and transfer to Hotel.
- Day 02: Preparing Expedition
- Day 03: Briefing in Ministry of Tourism
- Day 04: Drive Beni & Darbang - Camping
- Day 05: Darbang - Baskot village – Camping
- Day 06: Baskot village - Bagar – Camping
- Day 07: Bagar - Dovan - Camping
- Day 08: Dovan - Pina (forest camp) Sallaghari –Camping
- Day 09: Pina (forest) -Italian Base Camp – Camping
- Day 10: Italian B.C. - Dhaulagiri B.C.4740m.– Camping
- Day 11-39: Climbing Period
- Day 40: Prepared return to Kathmandu
- Day 41: Dhaulagiri Base camp - Yak Khark - Camping
- Day 42: Yak Khark – Marpha - Jomsom – Hotel
- Day 43: Fly to Pokhara & Kathmandu
- Day 44: Kathmandu
- Day 45: Dhaulagiri Expedition ends / Final Departure
All conditions stated in the above Itinerary are for the guests who prefer full package trip. At the same time, we also serve you based on your choice. Above holiday itinerary can be customized as our guest specific requirements and can make Shorter and Longer. We design your holidays accordingly.
The above itineraries are subject to change due to condition beyond our control. This is a Guideline showing tentative night stops. Physical, Technical and Natural condition may change this above itineraries.
Mount Dhaulagiri Expedition Cost Includes
- Transportation Arrival & Departure on domestic and international flights.
- Standard hotel accommodation in Kathmandu on B/B plan.
- All Domestic flights charges.
- All Transportation service from starting and ending points of Mt. Dhaulagiri Expedition.
- Climbing Sherpa guide for Dhaulagiri Expedition.
- Group climbing gears like rope, ice bar etc.
- Permits for the Dhaulagiri Expedition.
- High altitude meal (Full board) while Climbing Dhaulagiri.
- All the expenses & insurance of Liaison officer (Govt. of Nepal).
- Expedition manager, cook, support crew and porters with their equipments, daily wages, food & insurance etc.
- Camping & Kitchen equipment like base camp tents, dining tent with table and chair, kitchen tent with all utensil and toilet tent.
- High altitude tents and necessary gadgets like EPI gas and burner for high climb.
- Warm clothing, trek gear for nepali staff including porters
- Life & medical insurance for Nepali staff & porters.
- Portable Altitude Chamber (PAC) & Gamow Bag along with the comprehensive First Aid Kit.
- Communication device like Satellite Phone & Willkie-Talkie in case of emergency.(USE PAY)
- Emergency Oxygen with regulator and mask while on Dhaulagiri Expeditions.(USE PAY)
- Agency service charge.
- Ample farewell dinner with Nepali song & dance.
Mount Dhaulagiri Expedition Cost Excludes
- International airfare and airport tax.
- Nepal entry visa fees
- Medical and personal high risk insurance.
- Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu
- Bar & Beverage Bills
- Personal equipment & climbing gears.
- Emergency Rescue evacuation
- Climbing Bonus for Dhaulagiri base camp staffs, tips and personal nature expenses.
- Permit fees and custom charge for Sat phone, communication gadget and commercial filming.
- Garbage Deposit USD 3,000.00 (Sharing of the total person) and Deposit fee will be not refunded if the clients (climber) don't take back their garbage to Kathmandu.
Mount Dhaulagiri Expedition Spring/Autumn 2017/2018 Fixed Departures
Dhaulagiri Expedition Cost Facts
- The above Expedition Itinerary is a guideline and standard pattern. This Expedition can be modified according to your time and requirements.
- Cost & Departures Dates of Expedition will change according to your NEED, GROUP SIZE and TIME.
- The Expedition Itinerary may be changed after understanding by both agency and client. Additional activities could be added or reduce as per client's request before confirming the trip.
- Price for reduced Expedition/Hiking activities could be deducted and additional activities could be added as per mutual understanding.
- The Expedition Cost also affect the number of Mountain Guides, Porters and Services.
- For these reasons the same Expedition can be HIGHER and LOWER Price.
- We offer you the best price guaranteed for Dhaulagiri Expedition.
|Departure Dates||Departure Availablity||Trip Cost||Inquiry|
|April, 05, 2017 - May, 19, 2017||Available||16,900.00||Inquiry|
|August, 27, 2017 - October, 09, 2017||Available||16,900.00||Inquiry|
Cant Find Suitable Departure? Let us know... We will Take you There....
Your holiday Your style
Have a big group? We can help.
Need additional ativities? We can help.
Low on budget? We can help.
Mount Dhaulagiri Expedition Map
Similar 8,000M Expedition